In Ayurveda (traditional Indian medicine), haldhi ka doodh, or Golden Milk as it is more commonly known in the West, is a soothing, anti-inflammatory elixir. Although the traditional recipe calls for only milk and turmeric, we include cardamom for its detoxifying and digestive properties.
We find this drink is great to help us settle in before bed, or warming us to start our day during the cold winter months.
- 8 oz Whole Milk / Milk substitute
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder - If fresh turmeric root is available, use a 1 inch piece
- 1-2 Cardamom Pods (Cracked/Crushed)
- Optional Additions:
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 2 Cloves
- ¼ Tsp Ground Ginger
- Honey or other natural sweetener
- In a small saucepan, heat milk over low heat
- Add turmeric powder and cardamom pods to the mixture (if adding cinnamon, cloves, and ginger, add at this step).
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, being careful not to boil the mixture. Simmer for 5-10 minutes or until fragrant.
- Strain, serve and enjoy!